It's Wednesday, March 26. I am halfway through the first week back from spring break. I graduate in just over 5 weeks. How crazy is that?!?
So, for those who are sick of hearing about me, please refrain from reading this post. This is going to be a fast run-through of why I'm fabulous for G-ma's sake.
This has been a good semester so far.
I am officially a PhD candidate for Materials Science and Engineering at Clemson in the fall. I signed my contract this morning. I have a Teaching Assistantship for the first year that turns into a Research Assistantship after that. I'm being paid quite a bit and I am NOT going to complain about that.
I will be doing work in Washington State this summer at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. My research will be on the same family of glass that I have been working with here but a different aspect of the glass. Electronic, I believe. Getting this internship planned has been a bit crazy, but things are good now. It will be good for me to do research elsewhere before I start as a graduate student in the same group I've been in for a year as an undergraduate.
I wrote an article that was published in the American Ceramic Society's Bulletin (their monthly magazine). It has my name under it and everything. Mom has an electronic copy of it if you would like to read it or just see proof that I'm published.
Speaking of the American Ceramic Society, I am now the Outreach Committee Chair for the President's Council of Student Advisors. If you read the last post, you probably noted that I had just gotten back from Daytona Beach. I had been at a planning and implementation meeting for the PCSA, a student-run committee of ACerS whose purpose is to encourage student membership in the society, promote membership of young professionals, and direct student activities at the conferences. The trip was a blast and I am honored to be working with a group of dedicated students from across the country.
I have a new boyfriend (yes Sam). His name is Chris. He's a senior in Mechanical Engineering. He's cute. Or, as G-ma says, he's a "handsome fellow." He goes to my church and he's completely respectable (I figure someone is going to ask that).
He went to semiformal with me, hence the dress and tie. (PS~ isn't that blue dress awesome?!)I would tell about the spring break trip to the keys, but instead I'll just give you a link to the photo album. Spring Break Pictures
4 comments:
So, what is Chris doing next year? (He IS cute!)
hey welcome back to the bloggernet. You are completely awesome!!
stacy
Ahem. Might I ask about your reference to being a PhD candidate. Most often you must be accepted to candidacy after passing some sort of comprehensive examination after the completion of your coursework. Until then you are just a doctoral student. Of course you engineers could do it all weird.
I dunno. The nice letter giving me a student says PhD candidate. I think it has a nice ring to it.
And to Auntie M--he's graduating in May and working on getting a job, probably in Greenville (nearby! yay!).
Post a Comment